Bordering Hwange National Park, Private Area
This flag ship lodge is nestled in a patch of pristine woodland just west of Ngamo on the edge of the South Eastern corner of Hwange National Park. The lodge is unique in its style and design and has as its centre piece a huge ancient Camelthorn tree. On the edge of the Ngamo Plain, and strategically placed to explore the remote and unspoilt south eastern portion of the park, Camelthorn will also provide a spectacular wilderness experience. Less than a kilometre away from the lodge we have built an underground blind in front of a beautifully located waterhole in the park. Camouflaged as a termite heap and buried under an ancient Mitswiri tree - the photographic opportunities from it are dramatic. Elephants can be photographed from toe level silhouetted against the sky at a distance of 25 feet - and such close proximity to Hwange's huge bulls is honestly breath-taking.
• 4 - 5 hour road transfer from Victoria Falls or Bulawayo.
• Distances by road: Victoria Falls – Halfway House 225 km, and 40 kmthrough Forestry (4x4). Bulawayo – Kenmaur 170 km, and 68 km on Somgolo Road via Gwaai Siding and Sipepa growthpoint (4x4).
• 4 - 5 hour road and rail transfer from Victoria Falls.
• 1 hour small plane charter from Victoria Falls or Bulawayo. Bomani Airstrip - South 19 04 30.8 / East 027 27 22.7 (Please note that the Bomani Airstrip is open only seasonally. During the rainy season light air charters usually land and take off from Sipepa - about 1 hour drive from camp). Sipepa Airstrip - South 19 16 45.0 / East 027 38 54.0 (Gravel, open year round. One thousand one hundred metres long).
• 8 forest villas: 82 m sq flat roof with stone walls, outdoor maisonette with hammocks(ideal for a siesta or a night ‘under the stars’) accessed via a spiral stairway, large bedroom and lounge area with large sliding glass doors and overhead fans.
• Room configuration – one king bed or twin double beds.
• Main lodge is a magnificent stone structure with thatch roof built in an open U around the lodge’s splendid name- sake – the Camelthorn Tree.
• The Western wing is a closed in dining room protected from the elements with 3 fireplaces.
• The central portion of the main lodge is an open fronted reception area and lounge.
• The Eastern wing has open fronted bar and lounge area on a raised teak deck. • Within the U lies an open patio area underthe Camelthorn, ideal for enjoying leisurely brunches and candlelit dinners under the stars on warm evenings.
• Electricity by generator.
• Free WiFi in the main lodge area.
• Cell phone reception.
• In-house spa treatments available - not included in nightly rate, prices on request.
Hwange National Park at 14,500 sq km, is one of Africa’s great Parks and is home to over 100 species of mammals, including nineteen large herbivore and eight large carnivore species, and nearly 400 species of birds. Hwange is elephant country and much of the game viewing relates to magnificent opportunities to view these, the largest land mammals, in a completely wild state. The lodge estate lies within the Tsholotsho Communal area and is directly linked with local communities to make this a true eco-tourism lodge.
• Morning and afternoon game drives with snacks in traditional open safari vehicles.
• All day game drives with a packed lunch and snacks in traditional open safari vehicles.
• Land Cruisers seat up to 9 guests and Land Rovers seat up to 7 guests.
• Conducted by a fully licensed and highly experienced professional guide.
• Usually undertaken in the mornings and ideal for photography of big game on foot.
• Night drives within the lodge’s private concession to view the array of wildlife, particularly nocturnal creatures.
• Usually undertaken upon return from the afternoon activity or alternatively after supper.
THE LOOK UP GAME VIEWING HIDE
• Experience Hwange’s giants up close and only a few meters from the watering hole from the safety of this specialized 6m long underground blind with en-suite flush toilet.
Imvelo Safari Lodges
Max. clients in vehicle
Game Drives, Walking Safaris