Chikwenya Private Concession
As a private-access area neighbouring Mana Pools National Park, Chikwenya plays an important role in protecting what is considered to be one of the great wildlife spectacles on the continent and in preserving a feel of real wilderness - a function that is recognised in its World Heritage Site status.
Situated on the eastern boundary of Mana Pools National Park, Chikwenya is a photographer’s paradise as it looks out over an open floodplain and the broad Zambezi River, with a backdrop provided by the mountains of the Rift Valley escarpment.
Situated on the eastern boundary of Mana Pools National Park, Chikwenya is a photographer’s paradise as it looks out over an open floodplain and the broad Zambezi River, with a backdrop provided by the mountains of the Rift Valley escarpment. The camp is surrounded by a dense forest of albida and Natal mahogany trees, which provide deep shade in the heat of the day. The albidas shed their protein-rich pods during the dry season, providing vital sustenance for many species, particularly elephant.
Mana Pools National Park lies at the heart of the Zambezi Valley, a remote, beautiful place with spectacular views. The area offers large concentrations of buffalo and elephant, while predators such as lion, wild dog, leopard and cheetah are often sighted. Greater kudu, Burchell's zebra, impala, warthog and common waterbuck can be seen on the surrounding plains and the grunting of hippo can be heard all day. Birdlife is superb, with numerous local specials like collared palm-thrush and racket-tailed roller.
• Day and night game drives in 3 x 7-seater open Toyota Hiluxes and 1 x 7-seater Land Cruiser. During winter months hot water bottles (on early morning game drives only), blankets and lined ponchos are provided.
• A pair of Olympus binoculars is available in each of the game drive vehicles for guests to share amongst themselves whilst game viewing and may be requested from our guides.
• Private activities on offer (subject to vehicle availability which needs to be booked and paid for) may be requested in advance. There is no option to book a private vehicle from another camp in the same concession when staying at Chikwenya.
• Water-based activities in 2 x 8-seater pontoons and 5 x 2-seater canoes (water levels permitting).
• Whilst not predominantly a fishing camp, fishing is possible on a catch and release basis from the bank or by boat for leisurely interests.
This tented camp is surrounded by a dense forest of albida and Natal mahogany trees, which provide deep shade in the heat of the day. The tents perch on low wooden decks and pine walkways link them to the raised main area. The lounge, dining and bar area are places of hospitality and relaxation, and a pool, deck and fireplace offer alternate spaces to enjoy the scenery and passing wildlife.
Number of Tents
This camp can accommodate 18 guests in total.
Semi-Permanent Tented Camp
Max. clients in vehicle
Charge in Room
Game Drives, Walking Safaris, Canoe Safaris, Motorboat Cruises