Kulala Desert Lodge
Private Kulala Reserve
Our programme to remove internal fences and livestock has resulted in the recovery of this ecosystem and its wildlife.
Kulala Desert Lodge is situated at the foot of the majestic Sossusvlei Dunes and is the closest location to Sossusvlei (via a private gate exclusive to Wilderness Safaris vehicles).
Kulala Desert Lodge is situated at the foot of the majestic Sossusvlei Dunes and is the closest lodge to Sossusvlei, accessed via a private gate exclusive to Wilderness Safaris. Ideal for introducing your family to the natural wonders of Namibia, take in the sweeping scenery on nature drives and guided nature trails, while guided electric powered fat bike excursions are a fun way to explore the spectacular open plains. Top off an extraordinary desert experience with a soaring hot air balloon flight over the dune field.
Desert-adapted wildlife to be seen on the Kulala Wilderness Reserve includes ostrich, springbok, gemsbok, spotted hyaena and the occasional brown hyaena. Smaller creatures such as bat-eared fox, black-backed jackal, porcupine, Cape fox and aardwolf can also be seen. One bird, the aptly named dune lark, has its entire global distribution limited to the area. A surprisingly diverse array of insects, reptiles and rodents make their home around Kulala Desert Lodge. At dusk the call of barking geckoes can be heard, and walks reveal the smaller creatures - the buck-spoor spider with its multi-entrance burrow or the ambush specialist antlion, to name but a few.
• Day and night nature drives in 5 x 8-seater closed Land Cruisers and 3 x 7-seater closed Land Cruisers. During winter months hot water bottles (on early morning game drives only), blankets and lined ponchos are provided.
• Excursions to Sossusvlei and Sesriem [(only Wilderness Safaris have the advantage of entry into the park through this exclusive gate entrance (Kulala) - no self-drive vehicles or freelance guides driving non Wilderness vehicles are permitted to use this private gate (Kulala) and will be rerouted by Park Officials to the access point as used by the general public (Sesriem)].
• Scenic sundowner excursion.
• Guided nature trail from camp (weather permitting and subject to the availability of a qualified walking guide).
• Stargazing with a laser pointer (weather permitting and according to the lunar phases (not offered around full moon).
• Guided electronic powered fat bike excursions (subject to availability as 09 x fat bikes in total, with eight for guests plus one for the guide - to be booked directly at the lodge only and for Kulala Desert Lodge guests only).
Optional Activities at an extra cost
• Hot air ballooning [(weather permitting and may be booked direct at the lodge or in advance and pre-paid through your Journey Specialist (should a flight cancel due to adverse weather conditions, no charge is incurred), not available 15 January to 15 February (inclusive), 25 December and 01 January].
The camp comprises 23 thatched and canvas tents (including two family units), each built on a wooden platform, and a flat rooftop for sleep-outs under the stars. The main area includes a pool and wraparound veranda overlooking a waterhole.
Number of Tents
This camp can accommodate 50 guests in total
Max. clients in vehicle
Private Airstrip/Self Drive
Day and night nature drives, Excursions to Sossusvlei and Sesriem, Scenic sundowner excursion, Guided nature trail from camp, Stargazing with a laser pointer